Even before you consider creating a casino account, it’s probably a good idea to ensure that the online casino you’d like to play on is a reputable one. The last thing you want is to hit a massive jackpot of some sort on a scam online casino that does not honor their commitment to pay out your winnings!
How does one know a casino is reputable?
When evaluating South African online casinos, one needs to consider the various factors detailed below:
- The casino licensing details (unlicensed casinos should generally be avoided – these are unregulated and you have zero recourse if they decide not to pay you your due),
- The age of the casino (i.e. how long has it been in operation),
- The security certifications they’ve got (all of which may be validated by the issuing authority),
- Strong branding is usually a good indicator of reputation (e.g. have you heard of the name before?)
- Finally, the ultimate South African Online Casino check is accessibility. If you’re opening a fun account it doesn’t really matter but if you intend playing big, it’s probably smart to get in touch with a real person at the casino just to check everything is in order. You can only do so if they have a contact number you can call, an email address, or live chat feature. Ideally, they should provide all 3 of these options. It’s not recommended to play on casinos that don’t have their contact details and processes clearly visible on the website.
The online casinos that are mentioned here, tend to be the top-rated South African online casino options like Silversands Online Casino. For illustrative purposes, we will use this casino to guide you through the process of opening an online casino account. If you would like to create your own account as you work through this guide, then please CLICK HERE to open the casino in a separate window.
- Select a reputable online casino (like Silversands Casino) from one of the many detailed on the comprehensive Rand online casino page.
- As a habit, you should always read the online casino terms and conditions, particularly as they relate to any signup bonus you might receive as an incentive to play.
- Many South African online casinos have a no-download flash option (this option is usually titled Flash Casino), or Instant Play). If possible it’s better to use the download version as the graphics and speed are typically much better. The download version also typically have better game features.
- Once your free casino software has downloaded, open the file on your computer or tablet device and install the software – the process is usually well-prompted and you need only follow the directions provided.
- Once the software installation has completed, the casino will give you the option of creating a real player or fun account. If you’re new to online gaming, it is best to open a fun account first to familiarize yourself with the casino. The process to upgrade to a real player account from a fun account is easy and you can take advantage of any bonus offers then.
- When you’re signing up for your account, be sure to select the currency you’d like to do your gaming in – it’s often difficult to change this after signing up. If you’d like to gamble in Rands, select ZAR as the currency on the account creation page.
- Note: Online casinos are generally extremely security conscious and online gaming takes place over a 128-bit encrypted ssl connection at the very least. The downloaded software is also usually certified to be virus and spyware-free, but if you’re in any doubt, you should scan the file with your computer’s virus checking software before installing it.
Needless to say, one can apply the steps detailed above on any online casino one would like to try out. When you’re ready to play online for real money, you can visit our how to deposit into your casino account page to learn more about e-wallets and the cheapest and most secure ways of making casino deposits and withdrawals.